CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, June 6, 2008

You do?

So I'm finding myself swamped with announcements of weddings. Young twentysomething girls are getting married. Thanks to myspace I'm able to keep up on all the girlfriends i had and knew in high school and several of them are married with children. I just had my 22nd birthday, to me, I'm still very much into going to the bad karaoke bars and drinking pitchers of bud light with my friends and boyfriend. Maybe its weird that I'm so content in the decision to not rush my life into such a serious corner. I love my boyfriend, I love our cute apartment and nights when we have a glass of white and he suffers through my latest chick-flick love affair. We have come to the understanding that yes we can talk about eventually getting married but that right now we are not ready, financially, emotionally, realistically not ready to get married. Are we the only couple in our twenties that are capable of being in a real life relationship without setting a date or buying a ring?

My Cousin Emily who is 20 just married an accountant she has known since December. You heard me right, December, of this year. She seems to be very happy with her decision, along with the rest of her family. To me she is still the girl i used to play dress up and barbies with. Have we really grown so far away from those days? He was the dream guy, he was a perfect image in the Mormon church, "served his mission", attended BYU, basically the ivy league for Mormons. They seem to be in love, but how, i ask, can they know each other well enough to know? Do you really even have a first real fight in the first four months? not to mention the no sex, what if its terrible? Most of us sinners know what a deal breaker sex can be, the last person i thought might be "le uno" couldn't physically preform, for whatever reason, every time for a LONG time. it wasn't the deal breaker but it was a factor. I swear it was the most boring sex of my life. One word. Missionary. and my friends, that's it.

So my point is whats the rush? Why are so many girls so ready to tie the knot? If you are that stable in your relationship can't you just be together? Marriage is a big effing deal as far as I'm concerned and i often think that all to often when these twentysomethings say i do its for the wedding, not the marriage. and if that's the case how will the marriage last? No wonder divorce is more expensive than the wedding, people jump into a life they aren't ready for before they even know they aren't ready for it.

1 comments:

freshee69 said...

well, point taken, lest ye not judge. scott and i have been working on accepting and not judging. example: we're driving down the road and there is a large woman walking. i begin to comment and scott cuts me off by saying "when was the last time you went for a walk?". touche! you must remember your former life behind the zion curtain, and the social mores and expectations that exist here. emily's right on target. you've always been a bit more independant than the average bountiful chick. and i can tell you from experience that taking your time and enjoying where you and whom you're w/ are important. scott and i celebrated 3 years together in march. it will be 2 years since the ceremony in july. we lived a lot of life before meeting. and we have a lot life to go. some of the best times are spent watching the sun set on our front porch. watching alex graduate from olympus last week. having the sex talk w/ nick. helping samantha unpack in her new condo she bought w/ her bf. our little girl has a mortgage before us. lol. and crawling in to bed last night to hear "i'm not in the mood, but please hold me". wow, i made myself cry a little. thanks for reminding me. i need to call my husband now. loving you!